Pymble Public School

We are about the children, their learning and our teaching

Telephone02 9144 4136

Emailpymble-p.school@det.nsw.edu.au

History and Values

The New South Wales Department of Education records state that 'the four acres comprising the site of Pymble Public Schools in Crown Road and Rushall Street, near Reservoir Lane were acquired between 1930 and 1937 at a cost of 2,111 Great British Pounds.

The site was originally Bourke`s orchard, and at the time of the Departments`s purchase, the local area was largely devoted to dairying, market gardening and flower raising.

 

Post War settlement made the provision of educational facilities necessary, and the building of the school was in response to a petition asking "for the building of a school on the hill-Crown Road". To this day the school is frequently referred to as the Crown Road School.

 

The school commenced to operate in 1952, opening as an Infants School under the charge of Miss D Burtenshaw. By the end of the year the modest initial enrolment of twenty had reached seventy, and the growth of the school was assured. The first pupils were accommodated in the three original demountable buildings adjacent to the Infants playground and close to the safe Crown Road gate ( as opposed to the not so safe pedestrian access from Rushall Street, the undergrowth homes of black snakes, lizards and spiders!).

 

By 1955 the school enrolment had steadily increased, resulting in the school being reclassified as a Primary school. The first headmaster was appointed in this year, taking over from Miss Burtenshaw who then transferred to Kegworth Infants school. It was she who began the strong and happy partnership that exists between the school and its community.

 

Active parental support and participation have provided the school with significant benefits - the school swimming pool (1959), and the Assembly Hall (1962) which opened in time for Education Week. The provision of the oval and cricket nets soon followed. By the beginning of the 1970`s the existing brick classrooms were established. A new administration block was added in 1989.

 

During the 2000s a landscaping masterplan was put in place and an outdoor amphitheatre built. In 2011, under the Australian Government's Building Education Revolution funding, a block of five new classrooms with change rooms and bathrooms was completed to assist the school with growing classes.

 

The school enjoys a high community profile in which the school motto "to learn to live" is very much a reality for all students.